Moosehorn Heritage Museum Inc.
Home About Events History Our Buildings Web Links Donations
Historical site: July 22, 2010
The Canadian National Railway Station is valued as the last remaining physical evidence of the importance
of the railway in Moosehorn’s history, even the tracks having been removed.
The railway played a major role in the early development of the area,
starting when early settlers walked in on the incomplete rail bed from the last stop in Oak Point
to select homesteads in Moosehorn, and only fading when road traffic began replacing the railways in the 1960s.
Its picturesque qualities also make it a local landmark.
The building is a Canadian Northern 4th class station, and was constructed in 1918 of rough lumber sawn a nearby
lumber camp and hauled to the site on horse-drawn sleighs.
Moved to the museum property in 1982 after a petition and fundraising drive to save it,
the building retains much of its original exterior appearance,
with the interior room layout surviving as it did when the station was in regular use. It is now in use as our museum.
Designated Heritage site October 13, 2005
Built in the early 1900s, the log Buztynski House, a simple rectangular structure with a gable roof,
is a good example of an early homestead in Manitoba.
Constructed almost entirely with readily available materials, the dwelling, through its distinctive proportions,
limited fenestration and hand - hewn logs with neat dovetail corners,
exhibits unpretentious material qualities and the skill and resourcefulness of early twentieth-century pioneers.
Built and lived in by the Andrew Nickel family on a farm approximately seven kilometres northwest of Moosehorn,
the structure also housed the families of Fred Buztynski and his son Dave for over four decades.
It now stands on Moosehorn’s main street, restored for museum use by area residents.
Masonic Hall Moosehorn
Designated Historical site: July 22, 2010
Manitouwapa Lodge No. 156 AF and AM, was built in 1956-57 by local members of the Masonic Lodge, who donated their time and probably
also many of the necessary materials. The organization was instituted in 1939, with charter from the Grand Lodge of Manitoba on June 5, 1940.
Both the men’s and women’s group (Chapter No 38, the Order of the Eastern Star) met monthly in this building once it was built.
The building was moved to the museum property in 1993.
Replica St. Thomas Church
The original church, built in 1915, was the first Lutheran Church constructed in the northern Interlake.
In 2006, the 91-year-old church was demolished. The pulpit, alter and benches were salvaged to be placed in the replica.